THE BAUHAUS JOURNALS
At the the opening of the new Bauhaus building in Dessau, on the 4th of December 1926, the first issue of the magazine bauhaus was published, subsequently (with a few interruptions) at quarterly intervals. It was financed by the »Circle of Friends of the Bauhaus«. At the end of 1931, the last issue finally came onto the market.
Until 1928, 5 issues were published under the editorship of Walter Gropius and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. Then Hannes Meyer and Ernst Kallái took the wheel. The design was in the hands of Joost Schmidt. He modified the logo of Herbert Bayer. From 1929 on the lettering appeared in white in a black rectangular shape, the logo of the 1931 issues had a minimalistic design.
we don‘t want an art magazin
with solemn essays, already ripe at birth for a slow but definite death in dignified libraries and noble book salons. we want to hand over a spiritual piece of sports equipment, we want to grip the building and design of our time with firm grasp, to shake foundations, constructions and forms - not tender, not tactful - hard and ruthless, even if they are objects of our greatest reverence. what is real, will stand up to such a behavior, what is wrong, must reveal itself to a liberating laugh: thank God, another dummy done! and when, in our carefree attitude, we miss it from time to time - we like to invite the wrath of all intellectual big shots. the meaning of the bauhaus and its magazine is: to be young, to dare to be fresh and to work hard in spite of all: to prepare a more cheerful work of carefree times. there are construction and painting, functional form and art form in a row; practice and theory, creating and criticizing, own and related or opposing let lively forces play.
read the bauhaus journal!
Subscription order for the bauhaus journal, 1925. Unknown artist. Source MoMA
focus on stage
meyer – palace of nations
small appartment albers
Sources: baunet-info-com and monoskop.org
hilberseimer, albers, kandinsky
meyer – palace of nations
double issue albers
At first the journals had only 6 pages, but the publications became more and more extensive. The double number 2/3.1928 counted 40 pages, including advertisements in the final part. In the issue 4.1928 it was promised that soon 32 pages would be standard. The press project developed into a professional journal of international standing. But the modest edition 1.1931 with only 4 pages indicates the decline. The last two issues were dedicated to the departing »Bauhäusler« Gunta Stölzl and Paul Klee.